Well, they are not entirely wrong since there truly are some video games that do have a bad effect on children, making them behave aggressively and violently. But experts and studies say that video games are good for kids.
Experts believe that video games can be educational, fun and teach good personal skills to quite a high level. The activity of playing video games creates a change in the structure of the kids’ brains.
According to a study, the brain changes while working or learning on skills like playing a musical instrument, writing and reading. The same reaction is gotten when children play video games. There are a number of reasons why video games are good for kids and at the same time, there are specific reasons why they aren’t.
Reasons why video games are good for kids:
- Playing video games can help children develop their problem solving skills. As there are a number of games that require kids to solve problems to move on to the next level, they learn how to think fast, follow the right instructions and improve their attention ability.
- Strategy and logistics skills are also developed. Children are now attracted to multi player strategy games that require them to build empires and armies and battle with neighboring empires. While doing so, they are forced to utilize different tactics and learn to strategize. These high skilled – level video games are good for kids.
- There are various video games that enable kids to learn their subjects like math, languages, science etc. Learning while having fun is known to be a rewarding experience for both the kids and their parents. Most of these games are based on a story line that makes learning more interesting to the point where kids do not want to stop.
- Learning technology is an important aspect of growing up. Kids are introduced to computer technology while playing video games. They also help instill creative skills in children.
Points that parents must remember:
- The most important thing is for parents to make sure that their kids are playing safe. It is important to note the kind of video games they play ensuring that it is relevant to their age.
- Video games with violent content must be discouraged by parents even if the child insists.
- Make sure to spend quality time with kids and join them in their play.
It can be thus seen that with the proper attention, video games can be good for kids. There are a number of video games good for boys alone like racing games, enabling them to have fun and learn at the same time. While there are video games good for girls alone like cooking games, fun filled and colorful party games that are educational and bright.